DEMOCRACY FELLOW – Hampton/Newport News
We are so excited to welcome Democracy Fellows to our work for the 2020 Fall Season! We welcome all ages 18 and up and students from Hampton University, Christopher Newport University, and Thomas Nelson Community College especially are encouraged to apply!
Virginia Black Leadership Organizing Collaborative (VA BLOC), a Hampton Roads grass roots organization, builds empowered communities through integrated voter engagement, civic involvement, and leadership development. We seek conscious and hard-working individuals with a deep commitment to building sustainable Black political power to join our team. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
POSITION: Democracy Fellow
POSITION TYPE: Temporary Part-Time or Full-Time
LOCATION: Digital Program for those living in Hampton and Newport News
Democracy Fellow – VA BLOC is looking for fellows for our non-partisan democracy work in parts Hampton and Newport News. This is a unique opportunity to work within the community to create sustainable change and Black political power, gaining experience to bolster your election impact journey. Positions are temporary part-time or temporary full-time. Ideal candidates will be detail-oriented self-starters that care about our community and have a desire to learn and teach about the importance of building our electoral power.
- Education Outreach – digital organizing, phone banks, voter registration, restoration of rights, census education, and more
- Work independently and collaboratively as needed
- Communicate regularly with Community Organizers
- Learning and assisting with teaching civic issues and systems, including key issue areas of economic opportunity, health care access, education, and voting rights
- Learn and explore local and state government impacts on community issues
- Assist with active and engaging social media posts
- Build and maintain digital relationships within the community
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure
- Good organizational skills
- Ability to connect with diverse audiences
- Clear and effective spoken communication
- Attention to detail
- Self-motivated and able to work independently
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends as needed
- Ability to meet goals and strict deadlines
- Ability to work well in collaborative environment
- Reliable access to Wi-Fi
- If a student, second year or later in Educational Program (preferred)
- Must be 18 years of age or older
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Hourly. At least $15/hour.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please click here to apply: bit.ly/BLOCFellows20
There has been a big response to these positions. There is no formal deadline but these positions will be filled soon. You are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Due to the high volume of applications, only those applicants considered for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls please, use the text if you have questions.