Come see us at these upcoming community events for more information on voting, advocacy, childhood hunger, medicaid expansion, school safety, and more!
We have some upcoming workshops!
We hope to see you there!
We vote again on May 1st! Are you ready? Do you know how local elections impact your life? Did you know people formerly incarcerated for felonies can apply to have their voting rights restored? What is your plan to stay engaged after the Election? Come out to VA-BLOC’s Voter Workshop to learn more at First Baptist Church Denbigh on April 7, 2018 at 10am.
in every election is crucial for the health of our communities but Involvement is not limited to Election Day. We must stay engaged and know what’s going on in government and hold elected officials accountable. Knowledge is power! See you at 6:30pm on April 10, 2018 for our Advocacy Workshop at First Baptist Church East End!
For more information, call Cameron at 757-550-1877 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org
Do you know what we do? Here’s a little more info!
We want to work with you, building empowered communities with integrated voter engagement, civic involvement, and leadership development.
- Integrated Voter Engagement
- Voter registration, assistance with Restoration of Rights process, engaging and fun workshops on civics and voting education
- Civic Involvement
- Advocacy education to help make policy changes on all levels of government, putting our civics education into action
- Leadership Development
- Cultivation and enhancement of leadership qualities toward community action, for all ages
Step 1: Sign Up at http://www.tinyurl.com/VABLOC
Step 2: Call any of the numbers above to discuss how we can help you or your organization
Thank you to all who came to the Childhood Hunger Talkback last week! We had a great discussion on ways to eradicate #ChildhoodHunger in our community. We learned more data on poverty and hunger, brainstormed solutions, and wrote our local officials. We want also to thank KIDS COUNT Director Beth Nolan with Voices for Virginia’s Children for presenting key data about child hunger in Hampton and Newport News.
If you were unable to join us but are interested in joining this effort, email us today: email@example.com. Stay tuned for future action items. We are busy working on how we can help you make your great ideas a reality!!
New Year, New Energy!
Happy New Year from all of us at VA BLOC! In this season of renewal, we would like to share our wishes for our community for 2018.
1) Vote – Every eligible person should register to vote, make sure their voter file is updated, and show up to the polls for every election. We also hope that all who are eligible to apply to have their rights restored will do so and then once their rights have been restored by Gov. Northam, they will register to vote and vote.
Register to Vote: vote.virginia.gov
Check Your Voter File: www.tinyurl.com/VACitizenPortal
Apply for Restoration of Rights: restore.virginia.gov
2) Advocate – We encourage you to figure out your passion and the positive changes you want in your community. Once you have identified those key issues, take the opportunity to learn ways to share your ideas with people in positions of power to make changes. Strive to advocate for change by contacting at least 12 of your 18 elected officials.
3) Lead – Stay engaged and updated on what is happening in our community. Commit to learning something new about our government, ways you can impact the system, and actions you can take. Find a new leadership role in your community like serving on a local board or commission.
4) Share – Share the wealth of knowledge by teaching others what you learn about voting, government, and advocacy. Also, share our posts, events, and emails with friends and family.
5) Join VA BLOC – Get help with #’s 1-4 by signing up to receive our email updates. Check our website and social media pages for upcoming events, announcements, and opportunities.
Email Updates: www.tinyurl.com/vabloc
Upcoming Events & Opportunities!
We are taking a bus to Richmond on MLK Day!
First, we want to talk about the trip, establish our communications strategy, and list our community legislative priorities.
Come on January 8, 2018 to learn more about it! Click the flyer for our free registration!
For questions or more information,
please call Cameron 757-550-1877 or
email her at CBell@newvirginiamajority.org