Organizing Intern – Hampton/Newport News
We are so excited to welcome an Organizing Intern to our work! We welcome all ages 18 and up, especially students from Hampton University, Christopher Newport University, and Virginia Peninsula Community College!
Virginia Black Leadership Organizing Collaborative (VA BLOC) is a Hampton Roads grass roots organization working to build empowered communities through integrated voter engagement, civic involvement, and leadership development. We seek applicants who are thoughtful and dedicated with a deep commitment to building sustainable Black political power. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
POSITION: Organizing Intern
POSITION TYPE: Temporary Part-Time
LOCATION: Hampton and Newport News
Organizing Intern – VA BLOC is looking for interns for our non-partisan democracy and advocacy work in Hampton and Newport News. This is a unique opportunity to work within the community to create sustainable change and Black political power. Positions are temporary part-time with 20-25 hours per week. Ideal candidates are detail-oriented self-starters that care about our community and have a desire to learn and teach about the importance of building our electoral power and advocacy for good policies.
- Education Outreach – digital organizing, phone banks, voter registration, restoration of rights, and more
- Work independently and collaboratively as needed
- Communicate regularly with Community Organizers
- Learning and assisting with teaching civic issues and systems, including key issue areas of economic justice, health care access, education, and voting rights
- Learn and explore local and state government impacts on community issues
- Assist with creating digital content
- Build and maintain digital relationships within the community
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure
- Good organizational skills
- Ability to connect with diverse audiences
- Clear and effective spoken communication
- Attention to detail
- Self-motivated and able to work independently
- Ability to set and meet goals
- Ability to work well in collaborative environment
- Reliable access to Wi-Fi and Transportation
- Must be 18 years of age or older
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
HOW TO APPLY:
Click here to apply: https://bit.ly/2022VABLOCIntern
Please apply by November 17, 2022 at 5:00pm.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Due to the high volume of applications, only those applicants considered for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls please. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions.
I see your winter intern application has closed. Will there be another opportunity in the spring?
Hello! We anticipate that our next internship experience will be in the Summer. But stay tuned here and we’ll be sure to post it!