ORGANIZER INTERN – Hampton/Newport News
Virginia Black Leadership Organizing Collaborative (VA BLOC), a Hampton Roads grass roots organization, builds empowered communities through integrated voter engagement, civic involvement, and leadership development. We seek conscious and skilled individuals with a deep commitment to building sustainable Black political power to join our team. Women and people of color are encouraged to apply.
Hampton Office, working in Hampton and Newport News
Organizer Intern – VA BLOC is looking for organizers for our community work in Hampton and Newport News. This is a unique opportunity to work within the community to create sustainable change and Black political power, gaining experience to bolster your formal educational journey. Positions are temporary part-time. Ideal candidates will be highly organized, detail-oriented self-starters.
- Assist in implementing activities including, but not limited to, phonebanks, canvassing, voter registration, training workshops, and public events
- Work independently and with fellow organizers
- Assist in planning and hosting events to provide opportunities for supporters and members to make change
- Learning and assisting with teaching civic issues and systems, including key issue areas of economic opportunity, health care access, education, and voting rights
- Learn and explore local and state government impacts on community issues
- Assist with active and engaging social media posts
- Build and maintain relationships within the community
- Ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to connect with diverse audiences
- Clear and effective written and spoken communication
- High attention to detail
- A valid driver’s license and reliable transportation (preferred)
- Self-motivated and able to work independently
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends
- Ability to meet goals and strict deadlines
- Social Media Savvy
- Comfort with Google products and Microsoft Suite
- Ability to work well in collaborative environment
- Second year or later in Educational Program
- Must be 18 years of age or older
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Hourly. $15/hour* and stipend for travel and phone.
HOW TO APPLY:
Please send a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org with position name in the subject header.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Due to the high volume of applications, only those applicants considered for interviews consideration will be contacted. No phone calls please, use the email if you have questions.
*Your educational institution may require you to choose between receiving financial compensation or course credit. That decision is yours to make. We will work within your Institution’s guidelines.
Know someone who may be interested? Share this flyer!