Are you from the Hampton Roads community? Do you want to make a positive difference in the lives of others? Do you want to join an awesome team? Are you looking for meaningful full time employment? If you answered yes to these questions, then continue reading below!
VA BLOC is looking for full time organizers for 2016 to work in Newport News, Hampton, and Norfolk.
Community Organizer – Multiple locations; Hampton Roads
New Virginia Majority – VA Black Leadership Organizing Collaborative (VA-BLOC)
New Virginia Majority (NVM) is Virginia’s leading civic engagement organization that mobilizes and organizes voters of color and residents across the state. Our year-round approach to organizing involves mass scale voter outreach, linked to ongoing community organizing campaigns and intensive leadership development.
NVM is currently expanding its team. We are a seeking conscious and skilled individuals with a deep commitment to social change to build out a civic engagement infrastructure through community organizing, leadership development and chapter-building. Organizers report to the Director of VA-BLOC. S/he will work specifically with communities in Hampton Roads area.
Recruit, train, activate and schedule volunteers to make contacts within the community. Implement activities including, but not limited to, phonebanks, door-to-door canvassing and voter registration. Working independently and with fellow staff and volunteers, successful candidates will execute the following duties:
- Engage in outreach activities including, but not limited to, calling and visiting identified supporters
- Use various recruitment techniques to bring new supporters and members into the organization, including direct contact, community outreach, coalition building and hosting events
- Recruit, train, activate and schedule volunteers and community leaders to engage with the community
- Plan and host events and actions to provide opportunities for supporters and members to become activists
- Organize and manage volunteer actions, including phone banks, canvasses and other activities
- Provide issue education on core policy issues, including economic opportunity, health care access, climate justice and voting rights
- Participate in state and local issue initiatives to ensure people of color and low income communities have input in public participation forums
- Maintain contacts in the organizational database and utilize systems to track and evaluate progress toward our base building and campaign goals
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in community organizing, issue campaigns or advocacy
- Experience working on social or economic justice issues or engaging communities of color
- Outstanding communications skills and ability to connect with people
- Successful experience working in coalitions
- Must be flexible, creative and assume high accountability for all areas of responsibility
- Demonstrated ability to meet multiple deadlines; able to develop and move projects forward with independence and autonomy
- Experience working with a contact database/CRM
- Background and commitment to social justice work and demonstration of strong personal commitment to NVM’s mission and values.
- Flexibility to work irregular hours, including evening and weekend work.
- Regional and sometimes statewide travel will be required.
- Car / Driver’s license
Salary & Benefits:
This position is full-time through December 2016 and is eligible for NVM’s full package of benefits, including medical, dental and vision insurance, as well as monthly phone and transportation allowances.
To apply, please submit cover letter, resume, salary history and 3 references to email@example.com.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. New Virginia Majority is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, and LGBTQ encouraged to apply.