We are working on Mental Health in three main topics:
- Suicide Prevention in Communities of Color
- Alternatives to School Suspension
- Mental Health Education and Advocacy
We are addressing these topics with the following ACTIONS:
- Suicide Prevention – Planning and implementing educational community pop-ups throughout Hampton and Newport News
- Suspension Alternatives – Collaboratively finding grants and resources toward Trauma Informed Education and Mindfulness training
- Legislative Advocacy – helping you let legislators know where you stand on pending legislation that impacts mental health
- Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and IG to stay up-to-date on our events and activities. Like and share our posts!
- Show up to our events and meetings! We need your input and your perspective as we plan our next steps in advocacy!
- Give us feedback on ways to improve and how to help you stay engaged!
To join the efforts of the Mental Health interest group, please contact Melissa to get involved today!
July 14, 2017
Combating Racial Trauma with Self-Care
July is Minority Mental Health Month and here at VA BLOC we’d like to make sure that our community is taking care of themselves during these trying times. The recent news of yet another black person being killed by the police is disheartening to say the least. Dealing with this can take a toll on your mental health, especially when it’s happening so frequently. It’s important that we don’t neglect our self-care.
Many people may be angry so it is important to do something productive with that anger, like volunteering with a local organization such as, VA BLOC, or just spending time with loved ones. Social media likes to remind us of all the negative things going on in the world, so take some time to unplug from all technology for a little bit. Try reading a book instead or even going outside to go for a walk. The Noland Trail or one of the walking trails at Sandy Bottom Nature Park are great places to go and connect with nature and studies have shown that being in nature can have positive effects on your mood.
If you are looking for someone to talk to in the Hampton Roads area, here are some of many providers: Inner Circle Inc., Serenity Courage & Wisdom Counseling Services, LLC, or Gordon Wellness LLC.
Want a way to channel your anger into socio-political action? Join us on the Mental Health Interest Group as we fight for change in Hampton Roads in the area of Mental Health. Contact Melissa if you’re interested!
- May was Mental Health Month – check out this page for Wellness Tips! Click here!