We know that reading is fundamental, especially to learning more about our history, culture, and context in organizing work.
Here’s a list of resources that is by no means a complete list, but an on-going list of books that the team has found helpful and engaging. Be sure to comment what you’re reading too!
- Jackson, Sarah, Moya Bailey, and Brooke Foucault Welles. #HashtagActivism: Networks of Race and Gender Justice. Cambridge: The MIT Press, 2020.
- Taylor, Keeanga-Yamahtta. From #BlackLivesMatter to Black Liberation. Chicago: Haymarket Books, 2016.
- Winter, Meaghan. All Politics is Local: Why Progressives Must Fight for the States. New York: Bold Type Books, 2019.
- Alexander, Amy. Fifty Black Women Who Changed America. New York: Kensington Publishing Corp, 1999.
- Desmond, Matthew and Mustafa Emirbayer. Racial Domination, Racial Progress: The Sociology of Race in America. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2010.
- Edds, Margaret. We Face the Dawn. Charlottesville: University of Virginia Press, 2018.
- Glaude, Eddie. Begin Again: James Baldwin’s America and Its Urgent Lessons for Our Own. New York: Crown, 2020.
- Haley, Alex and Malcolm X. The Autobiography of Malcolm X. New York: Ballantine Books, 1999.
- Ligon, Charlene Butts. Fearless. Bellevue: Smallwood Charlotte Press, 2018.
- Rothstein, Richard. The Color of Law: A Forgotten History of How Our Government Segregated America. New York: Liveright Publishing Corporation, 2017.
- Cross, Tiffany. Say it Louder: Black Voters, White Narratives, and Saving our Democracy. New York: HarperCollins, 2020.
- Lewis, John, Andrew Aydin, and Nate Powell. March (Book One). San Diego: IDW Publishing, 2013.
- MacLean, Nancy. Democracy in Chains. New York: Penguin Books, 2017.
- Davis, Angela Y. Women, Race, & Class. London: Women’s Press, 1982.
- Garza, Alicia. The Purpose of Power: How We Come Together When We Fall Apart. New York: One World, 2020.
- Taylor, Keeanga-Yamahtta. How We Get Free: Black Feminism and the Combahee River Collective. Minneapolis: Consortium Book Sales & Distribution, 2017.