Did you know that…
Children are starting school on unequal footing due to unequal access to Pre-K?
Some, but not all schools, have Family Engagement Specialists who serve as liaisons between schools and families?
the state of Virginia has the highest rates of referring students to law enforcement, which disproportionately impacts Black students and students with disabilities?
Do you also know you can do something about all of these issues impacting education?Join the VA BLOC Education Advocates!
We are working on Education in three main topics:
Promoting, Protecting and Investing in Early Childhood Education
Facilitating Family & School Engagement
Advocating for Equity and Racial Justice
We are addressing these topics with the following ACTIONS:
Advocacy – Push for the expansion of quality and accessible Pre-K education
Awareness- Spread the word about local Pre-K education opportunities and other learning opportunities for youth
Legislative Advocacy – Help you let your elected officials know where you stand on pending laws that impacts education
Partnerships – Teaming up with schools and communities for events to engage families and schools for better outcomes for students
Service – Partnering with schools and communities to support our students
- Hampton City Schools is offering a free 16 week Preschool program this summer for incoming Kindergarten students who did not participate in Pre-K. Registration is on a first come, first served basis. Click the link below for more info and to access the registration form. Please spread the word!! http://www.hampton.k12.va.us/news/2017April/summerPreschool.html
- Is your child eligible for Hampton or Newport News First Step? Take a look!
Celebrate Teacher Appreciation Week May 8-12th!
- Thank A Teacher with Virginia Tourism and Virginia Lottery
- See what the VA BLOC team is saying to celebrate their teachers!
- Hampton Roads Community Action Program is accepting Head Start applications may 9th- 30th! Please see the flyer below for details and share widely!!
4/5/17 LEGISLATIVE UPDATE: During the letter writing campaign we included many education bills. We would like to give you an update for HB1392 (permits school security officers to carry firearms). We urged a “no” vote for this bill but, if you remember from our last update, unfortunately it passed in the General Assembly and was sent to the Governor. Governor McAuliffe has approved this bill, meaning he signed it into law and it will go into effect July 1, 2017. You can access the text of the bill and history- including the vote counts, here: http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?ses=171&typ=bil&val=HB1392
- 2017 Congressional Black Caucus Spouses Essay Contest
- Application & Essay Submission Deadline: April 21, 2017
- 1st Place – $1,500
- 2nd Place – $1,000
- 3rd Place – $750
- Questions? Email Katrina Finch at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Myesha Jemison Scholarship Program
- Myesha Jemison, who is from Virginia Beach and is part of the Class of 2018 at Princeton University, created this scholarship program for Black and Latino/a/x high school students in Hampton Roads.
- Applications are due April 30th.